Return an email to an applicant.

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pdjobs91462

Return an email to an applicant.

Post by pdjobs91462 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 am

Is it to much to ask people in management to simply respond to an email saying "I got your resume?"

After I've sent hundreds of packages out, it's just a little depressing to get zero response.

Even if someone emailed back saying, "I'm throwing your resume on the bottom of the pile" I'd be tempted to thank them.

pdjobs91462

Re: Return an email to an applicant.

Post by pdjobs91462 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 pm

danno wrote:attach a "Return Receipt" to ALL e-mails you send., all they have to do is Click YES.
It isn't just about a "return receipt." It's a simple thanks for applying.

fmantac27

Post by fmantac27 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Hey, man...

I feel your pain because I used to get supremely pissed when my well-crafted demos and Hemmingway-like missives were ignored. I even got myself into a bit of trouble on several occasions by not letting those dogs lie, and it wan't until my old PD set me straight that I finally calmed down.

Program Directors generally don't respond for two reasons (in no particular order):

1) They're inundated with demos, as well as a thousand duties that are related/completely unrelated to being a PD. Half the time they're just trying to hold onto their own gigs like grim death.

2) They can be some of the most egotistical, hyper-sensitive ass clowns you will ever have the misfortune to come in contact with. My theory is that many PD's got kicked around in high school, found their college radio station, realized that they could wield some power in the entertainment industry, moved to a commercial station, slunk their way up the food chain, reached the top, and swore on everything that is holy that now that they make the rules, they would never, ever be pushed around again and now it's their turn to be the ass-kicker.

But I'm just spitballing here.

djmartin1051

Post by djmartin1051 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:02 am

fmantac27, well put.
I'm in the same boat. Radio stations have cut so many employees that the PD is wearing too many hats. It's who you know in this business that will let you know if he or she received your e-mail or package. I would suggest get on LinkedIn or other networking websites to meet PDs or insiders to that company that you are looking for a job in. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.
Martin Anthony

radioharvey

Post by radioharvey » Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Having been in management for many years, I would make every attempt to at least email a response. With that said; sometimes it was near impossible, there would be some days I would get 30+ demos in a day! With everything else being attentive just isn't possible all the time. Do not take it personal and keep trying.

jdpig

Post by jdpig » Tue May 15, 2012 11:04 am

After 30 years in this business. I have determined that many PDs/OMs are simply scared to start a conversation with someone who may think they've got a shot when there's really no shot. These can get difficult to end. In my days as a manager, I've learned it's best to only discuss a position with the folks you are seriously considering. Now, I'm not the PD, so it's a bitch when you're really into a gig and you hear nothing. Most times the ads you see (especially here) are put there for EEO reasons. I don't know how many packages I've sent out, only to find that the person landing in the job was someone recycled from somewhere else in the cluster or company. With that said... I am amazed at how the gigs have turned from talent to money. Why the hell would a PD put a 22 year old kid on a Classic Rocker!? It sure as hell isn't to relate in any meaningful way with the 35-54 audience. It's also not about anyone with a real attachment to the music. It kind of pisses me off. I'm not even looking for a lot of money, just a location. All that said. I don't want to have a conversation with someone who's not going to be serious with me about a gig. I'd rather just move on to the next audition.

mrmandude

Post by mrmandude » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 pm

As a PD that just recently posted and filled an on air position at a station let me share my story. We are all busy, but I don't think it's too much to send a quick note that says "Thanks for your interest". I received over 200 applications and they all got that note from me. Some of these submissions were so bad. I am not kidding, one guy actually had a horrid speech impediment. I thought it was a joke, but a closer look revealed it was a college station where he was working. That having been said, I narrowed the field down to the group I was interested in, I sent a follow up email with more detailed information about the station and the community and asked for salary expectations and availability. This narrowed the field more. We're a small station and a couple of candidates were expecting 6 figure salaries.

Eventually, the position was filled, I sent yet another email to everyone thanking them and to let them know. This may have been a mistake. I received several emails in return asking me why I didn't select them, I even took a couple calls at the office from whiney twerps. One guy actually yelled at me when he didn't even get an interview. I told him he didn't fit the sound I was looking for and he asked "what sound". Really? Now you want me to try and explain the voices in my head? Unbelievable.

Bottom line. I too have sent out dozens of packages and have received nearly zero response. My feeling is simple, if I'm not a fit in the mind of the PD, I don't want to work there anyway. Know the position you are applying for. If it's mornings, make your demo appropriate. I actually had people send my clips of them reading news when my post clearly stated that we are a music station. I had another demo from a guy where the the audio was 90% female with him grunting and laughing behind her newscast.

I would encourage anyone to take a shot, but don't be depressed when you get no response. If a PD likes what he heard, he or she WILL contact you.

zebster

Post by zebster » Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 am

I'm a PD. I'd love to write back to each applicant, and in some cases even offer helpful tips so they can improve their packages. But I am working 60 hours a week as a PD, and then I track weekends for another station out of the market.
So while I'm sympathetic, I do think you need a thick hide to succeed in radio. If I don't write back I don't mean to offend you, I just have more important things to do. If that's too tough for you, this isn't a business you'll enjoy.
Zeb Norris

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:10 pm

I told him he didn't fit the sound I was looking for and he asked "what sound". Really? Now you want me to try and explain the voices in my head? Unbelievable.

You know, I don't mean to pick a fight, but THAT comment has been gnawing at me for three days. As someone who's imaged multiple formats in multiple markets, three of them in the top ten, I'm of the opinion that if you can't explain the voices and the sound in your head, you can't run a radio station.

One gig that I almost got, but didn't -- after interviewing three times and doing pages of spec work for the PD -- I finally asked. "Well, how would YOU like to hear it?"

"That's not the point," he snapped at me. "The point is whether you can fit my sound."

How? By reading your mind, Mr. PD? Ergo, I get to work with no direction?

As it turned out, I was lucky. The poor sap who got the job quit eight months later. And when the PD called me back to see if I was interested, I wasn't. And I was between jobs at the time. (As I remember, I let three of his calls go to voicemail. He gave up at that point and didn't call a fourth time.)

So, if you can't explain the voices in your head, don't expect coherency amongst the staff in pulling off "your grand vision." They won't be able to see what it is, and "be number one" says nothing about how you want your station to sound.

OK. So maybe that candidate sucked donkey eggs and wasn't right at all. Maybe he wasn't worth telling why he didn't get the job. Most candidates are like that, at least early in their career.

I would have been a lot more impressed with the above-quoted poster as a PD if he/she can tell candidates WHY they don't fit.

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Found out a few weeks ago that the PD had quit after the group PD "questioned his management style."

I felt better.