Were we fed a line of Crap?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
danno

Were we fed a line of Crap?

Post by danno » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm

YES, according to P1 Research conducted by Mark Kassof & Co as to "Reasons For Listening" to radio 49% of listeners said they listen to Radio to elevate their "Mood" the #1 reason, 46% said they turned to radio to "Relax" ..ONLY 17% said they listen to radio to "BE PART OF THE COMMUNITY" for years and years i've heard from Consultants about the IMPORTANCE of being LOCAL-LOCAL LOCAL, talking about the Community, maybe it soothes the GM or owner and gets him in good standing at the Country Club, BUT it is the last reason anyone would turn on a radio for!... you may be surprized but i for one am not surprized at this new research.

frankincleveland

Re: Were we fed a line of Crap?

Post by frankincleveland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:39 pm

49% of listeners said they listen to Radio to elevate their "Mood" the #1 reason, 46% said they turned to radio to "Relax".
And that's content.

Of course people don't say, "Man, I need to be more involved in the community, I need to listen to the radio more!"

But when they're stressed.. or bored on their morning drive.. or on their way home to shake off a crappy day, that LOCAL connection.. that familiar voice.. that's what separates local radio from the syndicated/voice tracked/big box radio.

Engaging radio is about a conversation, and you can't do that with a PC in a janitors closet doing "robo radio" playing the same 20 songs over and over again.

danno

Post by danno » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:16 pm

i don't think Local air talent is what this research was talking about, before recently Local Air Talent was the Rule rather than the Exception.... only 17% tuned into radio for "Being a part of the community"... not many listen, not many care, its the Reason Local Public Service programs air at 5am on a Sunday Morning... Look, its hard to crack double digits to get people to Vote in Local school board and city elections, most can't even name a city councilman, sadly, i guess nobody gives a Rip. Radio is Escapism for the majority of people listening, and Local things discussed by a radio personaility on a music show is a tune out. for Talk Radio it might be very important, but then again most of the stations doing alot of that have lower ratings, but a swell report to send to the FCC.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 am

Radio is wallpaper.

danno

Post by danno » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:18 pm

jjenkins wrote:Radio is wallpaper.
Yes it is, and between voice trackers and liner card readers, if Radio is wallpaper, there's more color and excitement in the wallpaper paste.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16 am

The sad thing is that these liner card jocks have convinced themselves that they are talented and actually skilled. What will they do when they are inevitably laid off and/or replaced by a voice tracker or syndicated host and find out that their "skills" only transfer to fast food drive thru work? I think that's the weirdest phenomenon among current radio "talent." They think if they speak into a mic a few minutes per hour that they are hosting a "show." Poor, deluded, numbskulls.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:20 am

WHO ARE YOU!? AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH OUR BELOVED WHIPPING BOY(?)!?

Actually, JJ, (ready?) I wholeheartedly agree with the entirety of your last post.

OK...now you can go back to telling me how much you don't care about me agreeing with you.

Nice to see you...

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:09 pm

There's nothing worse than hearing an ego inflated no talent blabber on and on the radio. Brevity is the key :D

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Listening to the highest paid radio DJ's in the nation, it seems brevity is the key to mediocre.

The key is to have an actual personality and something to actually say and engage the listener.

Anybody who gives a shit what Rhianna is up to already read it on TMZ long before your liner card reader opened the mic.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am

thelegend wrote:There's nothing worse than hearing an ego inflated no talent blabber on and on the radio. Brevity is the key :D
Brevity is the key, IF the person on the radio has no talent, nothing to say and can't keep your interest. if they CAN, the talk will be an asset rather than a liability. its not my kind of thing but bob&tom, big d & bubba, seacrest and others have made a fine living Blabbering for 4 hours every morning, i find them all Boring and predictable, but i guess thats me.